Clothing Care & Stain Removal Tips
Care instructions & Stain Remover Usage
Stains and everyday wear and tear can leave your clothes looking dull and dreary. And, after all that time and effort spent on shopping for the perfect pants, party dress or blouse, the last thing anyone wants is to have to retire your clothes after just a season or two. Explore our tips to get the longest life out of your garments by caring for them properly; as well as keeping them-stain free with our best stain remover products for each application.
General rule of thumb
Best bet: The moment you get a garment, remember to check the 'care instructions' label every time before washing the clothing item for the first time. This label has garment-specific information on how to care for your specific clothes.
When in doubt: If you're rushing off and there is no time to read the label, wash by machine your garments in cold water and tumble dry on low.
The best eco-friendly washing and drying tips
The following tips will help you be eco-friendly and reduce your carbon foot print.
Cold wash/air dry: Machine wash in cold water and air dry, by hanging the clothing on a washing line. This will help to protect the life of certain fabrics, mostly lycra fibre, as well as maintain the shape of your garment and prevent possible shrinking.
Taking care of bright-coloured clothing
There is nothing worse than when your clothes start looking dull after just a few washes. To care for your bright coloured garments, we suggest that you:
- Wash bright colours alone especially if they haven't been washed before.
- Wash according to care instructions (as mentioned above). In most cases, this applies to coloured garments that will be cold washed and cold tumble dried.
- Continue washing bright coloured clothes together with similar colours - for example, reds, pinks and oranges.
- Keep bright coloured gear away from other fabrics, when wet. The possibility that these colours will run onto your other garments is high.
- Remove stains with Vanish Liquid Fabric Stain Remover or Vanish Oxi Action Powder, our colour-safe stain removal products.
More tips to extend the lifespan of your clothing
- When separating clothes, try to wash like fabrics together.
Turn your clothes inside out and wash them with other similar fabrics. When washing soft, gentle fabrics, avoid contact with anything abrasive, such as denim or garments with clips, Velcro or zippers. These can be harmful to other garments especially in a washing machine or dryer with its repetitive motion.
- Try and avoid mixing lycra and nylon with cotton; cotton can easily stick to these types of fabrics.
- Machine-wash lycra fibres and hang them to dry instead of tumble drying. This will protect the garment and extend its life.
- For white-coloured clothing use Vanish Crystal White Powder or Liquid.
How to wash different types fabrics
Washing: Silk is very delicate and if at all possible the fabric should always be hand-washed, except if the label says it can go into a machine. When hand-washing silk, place it in lukewarm soapy water, but do not soak it.
Drying: Silk shouldn't be squeezed out - instead it's better to spread it flat on a towel to dry. Shirts and blouses can be placed on a hanger and air-dried.
Washing Linen: Any stains should be treated prior to washing with one of Vanish's Pre-treatment sprays or soaker products. You can machine-wash linen. Use non-chlorine washing powder or liquid for linen, and use Vanish Crystal White to stop it from going yellow.
By making the effort to follow the tips outlined above, you will find that your clothing will last longer, and you will end up saving yourself time and money.
Vanish's Stain Solver
Use our Stain Solver for a complete list of stain removal tips and our best stain remover products per application.